Writing from Orlando, Florida where I can lounge in sandals sipping ice cold lemonade by the beach in the dead of winter and have computer access :) As the year's end approaches I looked at Huda's entry from last year and though.. good idea for a meme! I would LOVE to read *your* meme's on this topic. Please let me know if you do it!
1. What did you do in 2005 that you'd never done before? Visited San Francisco and Boston, made a chocolate cake.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? As a lot of you already know, I have a list of 101 things to do in 1001 days. Those are my "new years" resolutions so to speak :-) I am making progress!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Kashif's sister had a son and one of my best friends who I've known since 8th grade had a baby girl.
4. Did anyone close to you die? No, but our friend Aasem lost his father. He's in Pakistan right now... my heart goes out to him and his family and to the families of the earthquake, tsunami survivors, katrina survivors who lost more than I can imagine with one fell swoop. May God watch over all...
5. What countries did you visit? None besides the one I'm in... Why couldnt this have been asked in 2003 or 2004? We went to so many!
6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005? A book proposal created and sent. Also, find time to read for fun.
7. What dates from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? May 20th was the last day of school and my last day as a teacher. I dont know if I will ever return
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Giving my students hope for their future. If only they can tuck that in and keep their hope with them... as a bubble over them sheltering them from the temptations to fall off track. If I get a call from just one student that said they made it to college... that will be perhaps my greatest acheivement.
9. What was your biggest failure? I wanted more self discipline in many areas and I dont think I've mastered it as well I could have.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? I can't complain, this was a good year. I do have pain in my right shoulder which from time to time restricts my active mobility in that arm though if someone helps me move it up or down it can. Anyone have any ideas? The doc said "drink more water and sleep differently and lift weights"
11. What was the best thing you bought? I gots me an ipod, furniture, and ofcourse Office space... with flair :) [I think I just like saying that!]
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?Kashif's for always having my back, and though I dont know Baraka or Jane they merit celebration because they are brave, strong women who are truly inspirational.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Those who defrauded people who intended to give to charities for Pakistan's earthquake victims and Katrina hurricane victims.
14.Where did most of your money go? bills..GAS... *sigh* It was almost cost effective to quit my job so as to save my car from wear and tear and the enormous gas bills.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory coming out because I read it to my students each year and (sorry!) I didnt like the old one and going to San Fransisco.
16. What song will always remind you of 2005? Songs by the Simpson sisters... and Kanye Wests "We want prenup" song... :( Not b/c I liked them.. but b/c they are played in every store, radio station, etc. ad nauseum...
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? happier
b) thinner or fatter? Plead the fifth
c) richer or poorer? richer where it matters, in the heart.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Exercising, working on my writing...
19. What do you wish you'd done less of? telling myself I'll get to it tomorrow.
20. How will you be spending Christmas? I spent it with my family suffering from a high fever and chills but also got to watch the Indian movie "Pinjar" describing the tensions between hindus and muslims pre-partition of India/Pakistan. Powerful stuff.
21. Did you fall in love in 2004?I loved.
23. What was your favorite TV program? Desperate Housewives
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? There are people whose behavior disappoints me, angers me maybe, frustrates me, saddens me.. but I dont know if I hate anyone..
25. What was the best book you read?Dancing Girls of Lahore
26. What was your greatest musical discovery? Though she's been around for a while Alanis' latest CD is beautiful. Also Jason Mraz and Damion Rice.
27. What did you want and get? A little more free time because of quitting my job. My hair grew long again.
28. What did you want and not get?An internship at a law firm.. I'm not giving up hope though.
29. What was your favorite film of this year? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Sisterhood of the traveling pants... and as for rentals: Before Sunrise
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? 26 which is hard for me to fathom... we were in Sarosota visiting Kashif's new nephew. We had an icecream cake and my parents drove over from Orlando with Aamir... later in Atlanta we went to Melting Pot and I got me an ipod! :)
31.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?If I had worked on my writing and actually mailed out the queries I stayed up all night writing.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004? Express summer lineup was the first time I dressed most true to my personality. T'was great!
33. What kept you sane? Don't know how sane I remained. Writing my feelings down helped. Exercise helped. Talking about it helped.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Lauryn Hill because I love her music, Angelina Jolie because she uses her fame and fortune for good, and Johnny Depp for absolutely superficial reasons.
36. Who did you miss? I missed students who moved on to third grade and who I could see slowly succumbing to the pressures of their environment. I missed their hugs or sweet smiles which were now secretive incase a fellow student saw them and called them a "baby"... I missed their hope because in some it was quickly fading..
37. Who was the best new person you met? I met lots of cool people. For sure it was beyond awesome (hehe Asim) to meet Zainab (his wife).. Zainab if you read this, you rock! But also... it was great to meet all of you in the bloggersphere who are insightful, funny, wise... knowing you all has really helped me be a better person.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005. Rumi was right, you can't move the way fear moves you. I was terrified of quitting my job to go back to school, but I did... and though there are pros and cons. I'm thankful I did.
39. What political issue irked you the most? I dont know where to begin...
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. "You’re only dancing on this earth for a short while And though your dreams may toss and turn you now. They will vanish away like your daddy’s best jeans Denim blue fading up to the sky And though you want them to last forever You know they never will. - Cat Stevens
I wish I didnt end on such a Debby Downer lyric. Maybe its just how I feel now. Maybe I'm too hard on myself. I just feel that I could have done a lot more with this year which is why I feel sorrow that its ending. BUT I'm grateful at the peaceful year. I'm grateful my family is alive and well. And I'm grateful for so much more. I hope that 2006 will be just as good but I hope that I will push myself harder to actualize my potential.