One day over lunch, I told a co-worker I couldn't run. He shot me a raised eyebrow and told me he went from couch potato to marathon runner in 10 weeks. He said I could do it if I simply persisted. So ever the optimist I tried again, this time doing a little more research before hitting the pavement. I began in intervals of walking mostly and running in spurts, slowly over time I found myself running more than I walked. Today, for the first time in my life, I ran one mile without stopping. I never thought I could do it, but simply by getting up and trying, I proved my PE teacher wrong.
I wanted to share some of the links that are helping me reach my goal (My ultimate goal is to run a 5K, its only three miles but a feat for me at this point). I hope it helps you as it has helped me if you are inclined to pick up the sneakers and run. If you are a runner with tips, please share!
- This link can calcuate routes in your neighborhood or any place else to determine the distance you need to run to reach your goals.
- For couch potatoes looking to become runners, this link helped me get started on a schedule to start running.
- How to avoid cramps here.
- Some cool general tips on running here.
- If you think you don't have the time, or motivation to do so, read this because suddenly you will realize, you have no excuse.
- And finally, this picture helps remind me that genetic makeup or not, if I want it bad enough I can do it. (Thanks for the link Tee!):